Saturday, August 07, 2010

Other voices, other shoes

Hmmm. It seem I haven't written anything in quite a while. Must be because nothing has happened anywhere in the world in the last, oh 12 or 13 months, that is worthy of comment. Either that, or I have no comments worthy of ... Well you get the picture. So, I am now into week two of the first real vacation I have had in something like five years.

By "real vacation" I do not mean "time off from work characterized by no basic change in level of obligation, anxiety, or lack of pleasing diversion." This time around, the adults number the child by 4 to 1 (using the conventional, age-derived definitions, of course, not the behavioral ones) which seems to be sufficient. The weather is nice. I brought a guitar (and a battery powered amp), plenty to read, and my thoughts are pleasingly free from of the leaden nostalgia of past beach forays. I even got the wax flushed out of my ears, so I'm ready to jump back in the ocean. Or, sit here in a shaded, breezy room, with 6 more days of vacation to go.

Things could be worse.

No comments: